Monday, June 4, 2012

The Next Step

After botching my chance at being a part of the Class of 2013, I was determined to get in the next year.  The question they always ask you on your re-application is what you did to improve on your profile.  I wanted to show the admissions committee that I was dead serious about making a change and that I had love for the field of marketing.  With that said, I decided to be extreme and quit public accounting cold turkey to take myself out of my comfort zone and force me to find something marketing related. To be honest, I was damn scared.  It was good I had stacked up a decent amount of money to survive on for a bit.  I decided that while I was job hunting, I would work on expanding BakeGreek, a start-up company that I helped found.

Before I left my company though, I decided to make a sweet ass goodbye video.  I mean, I had no love for the public accounting profession, but my colleagues were very cool people. They taught me a lot and I wanted to show them and the company I would miss them.  Here is the video I made to say goodbye to my colleagues.



Since I was leaving the company, there wasn't really anything I could get in trouble for so I thought what the hell, let's see if they will let me play this at the firm meeting to all 250+ employees at the firm. I put in a request to show the video and they actually did it. What happened after that was even more amazing.

After showcasing the video to my company, I got an email from the Marketing Director and she was really impressed with the creativity and effort put into the video.  I mean, this was a project that my team had invested 60+ hours into.  After talking to her a bit about what I wanted to do, she kind of took me under her wing to help me break into the Marketing world.

You know how a lot of people always say they know people and that they will show your resume around? I thought that this was going to be one of those people, but I was far from wrong.  She reached down into her network and emailed TONS of people in the advertising and PR world that she knew to try and get me an interview.  I was CC'd on each one and along with my resume, she sent the video as well as a witty final goodbye email I sent to my colleagues on my last day.  In the email, she totally had my back and put her reputation on the line because she believed in me. It almost brought tears to my eyes to know she was willing to risk her ass for me. Within two weeks of unemployment, I had landed an internship position.  I took a giant pay cut (70%) taking this internship position, but it was my way of showing admissions I was willing to do anything to begin building experience in the right direction.  

The Marketing Director at my old firm has been a huge inspiration and guiding force for me. Re-energized after landing this internship opportunity, I was ready to continue on this path to matriculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment