Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Catch 22

After working in PR for 6 months as an intern, not only did I know for a fact I did not want to do PR now, but my savings was depleted due to my oh so sweet hourly rate of $12-$15.  Although making 70% less than I did as an auditor, I still had to take care of 100% of the same bills (school loans, rent, etc.) so I needed to find a higher paying job I liked while building experience in the proper direction.  If I wanted to stay at the PR firm until I found a new job, I would have to sign another 3 month contract. Since I didn't want to screw my supervisor and leave midway through my contract if I found a job, I decided to turn in my two weeks notice.  For the next couple of weeks leading up to my departure, I started applying to jobs and talking to TONS of people in the brand management industry and getting advice from friends that were recruiters.


Based on my talks with people from Nestle, Mattel, Disney, WD-40 and a ton of other places, here is what I learned about brand management:


1.  No one will look at your resume for marketing/brand management unless you have an MBA or you have extensive experience.  


2.  In the chance you do miraculously get an interview, you will not get hired unless you have prior experience. Quick anecdote within an anecdote, I met a great guy from WD-40 through my NYU video. After I told him I was rejected, he said that he was happy to recommend me to WD-40 for an assistant brand manager position.  He printed out all my materials I sent him, walked it over to HR and emailed them my NYU video with a personal recommendation.  Although NYU didn't appreciate the video, making it was all worth it because it helped connect me with awesome people like this. Long story short, I was extended an interview, but not extended an offer because I didn't have experience.


3.  It is extremely difficult to get into marketing/brand management as a former CPA. Because of my former life, I get judged all the time as an uncreative, number crunching square and it pisses me off. It's okay though, I've always felt like an underdog, so as much as it makes me mad, I love being put in these situations because so I can show people anything is possible.


Switching careers is a damn paradox and its difficult to find that first person that is willing to give you a chance. You keep hustling though and opportunities will eventually come your way. 


After my last day of PR, I hit the ground running and four days later, one of the most ridiculously perfect opportunities lands in my lap. My recruiter calls me and tells me there is a marketing position open at UCLA and they are looking for someone who has an interest in marketing, marketing analytics, supporting on campaigns and is an Excel pro.  I tell her I'll take the interview and when she emails me the location, guess what department of UCLA it is in? UCLA Anderson. Holy shit.  Did this really just happen? Even better, I walked into the interview room, nailed it and was hired on the spot.  Just 4 days after my last day of work, I found a new job and it was at one of top schools on my list. Hustling pays off my friends.  Miracles do occur and I'm living proof.  Now I'd be put in an atmosphere where I could really show UCLA Anderson what I had to offer and I could help them put a face to the name.


As I was driving home from the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment