Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What's the rush?

Being the hasty person I am, as soon as I decided I wanted to go to business school, I felt I was ready for the ride and wanted to get on immediately.  To get my applications in for R2, I gave myself 1.5 months to study and kill the GMAT and another 1.5 to do my school research and essays.  

The 1.5 months of studying I allotted myself was an ample amount of time to prepare.  Leading up to my test day on 11/20/2010, I had been doing fairly well.  I was consistently scoring between 700-750 on my practice exams and was pumped going into the testing facility.  On test day though, I had a couple of bad runs of questions and ended up with a 660. Damn it! That was way below what I felt I was capable of so I went home and scheduled another test day.

Quick tip #1: Always give yourself two shots to take the exam.  I took the exam in November so that if I needed to, I could take the exam one more time before R2 applications were due.  To give myself more time to study and research schools I wanted to go to, I took a month leave of absence from work.  Going back and forth from researching schools to drilling problems was a lot more work than I anticipated.  Quick tip #2:  Don't overload yourself, push too hard and work too hastily.  As a result of applying to seven schools (wtf was I thinking) and studying for the exams, I barely skimmed the surface when I was doing my research and although my GMAT improved, my application presentation was atrocious. 

I felt like this everyday:


and I ended up doing a very poor amount of research when it came to looking at schools.  As a result, I ended up with very superficial essays that lacked depth.  Quick tip #3: Take researching schools seriously.  Look beyond the website and really learn about why schools would be a good fit and if the school can take you to where you want to be.  Applying to school is a soul searching process and you definitely learn a lot more about yourself and what you want to do.

Ultimately, the key lesson I learned was to not rush through this process.  Take the time to look at your profile at every angle and fill in the holes.  Applying to business school is a marathon, not a sprint.  If you push yourself too hard, you burn out and don't end up finishing strong.  Results of my labors to be in the next installment.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment