June 22nd started out like any other day. I waltzed into work at Anderson and sat down at my desk poised to get started on my tasks. I had a training scheduled around 1pm to learn about the admissions database so that I could help with some analytics.
Around that time, my colleague shows up and I pop open the program to show him where I was having problems. He tells me that he actually hasn't learned to do that himself yet so he couldn't help me out. However, he did have something else to show me and from around my cubicle, he whips out a bag and says, "Looks like you're going to be hanging around for at least another three years. Congratulations and welcome to the FEMBA (Fully-Employed MBA) Program." I literally froze and thought, "No way this is happening right now!" Speechless, I took the bag from him and shook his hand. My office mates congratulated me and I was completely dumbfounded. The moment that I had been working towards for the past two years of my life was finally here! In three years, I would have my MBA from one of the top schools in the nation. I had to take a break from work to express my happiness in the hallway:
Ok, but really, immediately after finding out, I called my family and friends to let them know the good news. After that, I proceeded to do nothing but smile at the screen of my computer until it was time to get off.
To those of you that have been getting discouraged in this process, understand that hard work pays off. I have applied to a total of 11 schools (all in the top 25 programs in the US) and have been grinding through this process for approximately two years. On my 12th application I was accepted into UCLA Anderson. Every single time I was rejected, I learned something new, repositioned myself and filled another gap in my profile. For me, it will always a matter of "when" I was going to start school, not "if" I was going to get in. I knew it was going to happen, but I'm really stoked that it happened this year.
To be honest, I didn't expect to realize this goal this year at all. I was planning on keeping this blog for a bit longer to document my journey into applications again next year. Now that I'm there, I'm going to continue to blog, but alternate topics. I'll be talking about my business school experience as well as other points about the business school process. Hope that you all will continue to follow me on this journey! The road to matriculation ends Sept. 20 when I start school and the road to graduation will begin!
Thanks again to everyone for their support!!!

Congratulations! Its good to see hardworking and determination pay off! I hope I can have the same happy ending on my journey!
ReplyDelete